Shantadurga Temple, Ponda:
Goa’s largest and most famous temple. The interior is decorated
with marble and glass chandeliers along with an exquisite silver screen.
Shiva’s consort, Durga, resolved a violent dispute between her husband
and rival god, Vishnu, hence her position between them in the shrines
the prefix Shanta meaning peace.
Shri Manguesh Temple Ponda:
One of the largest, wealthiest and most frequently visted temples in Goa.
Its principal deity, a stone Shivalingam, was forst brought here in the
16th century although the present building was erected over 200 years
later. The countryard is dominated by a 7-storey deepmal, the most impressive
lamp tower in Goa.
Basilica of Bom Jesus Church, Old Goa:
Basilica of Bom Jesus, where St. Francis Xavier, the renowed 16th century
missionary’s body lies in a glass and silver casket. This church
was built by the Jesuits and consecrated to the Holy Name of Jesus on
15th May 1605. The imposing façade built of black granite in an
exquisite combination of the Doric. Corinthian and Composite styles, is
remarkable for its simplicity.
Se Cathedral Church, Old Goa:
Dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria. The exterior is built in half
– Tuscan, half-Doric style, and the side is Mosaic – Corinthian.
The octagonal baptism basin to the right of the entrance was carved out
of one single block of granite, in which St. Francis Xavier is said to
have baptized thousands of Goan converts.
St Assisi Church, Old Goa:
The church of St. Assisi, which is next to the Se Cathedral founded in
1517 by eight Franciscan monks and originally built only as a small chapel
with three altars and choir chancels. After this building was demolished,
the church, which stands today, was built in its place in 1762. The old
frescoes; painted in the European tradition, shows scenes from the life
of St. Francis; the ornamentation of the arches and walls are purely Hindu
Tours of Goa’s capital city of Panjim are best routed along the
esplanade from the typically colonial Secretariat building which was previously
known as the summer palace of Goa’s 06th century ruler the Adi!
Shah. Today it is the home of the Goan State Legislature which explains
the presence of the armed guards at the doors prohibiting a closer look.
Just past the Secretarial, you will see Panjim’s most striking statue
– the Abade Faria-priest, revolutionary, and the founding father
of modern hypnotism glaring down with outstretched arms over the body
of an unconscious woman at his feet seemingly under his hypnotic spell.
Then on to the Menezes Braganza Institute, now the town’s central
Library, for quick look at the panels of blue and yellow painted ceramic
tiles known as ‘azulejos’ lining the lobby of the Malacca
Road entrance. Proceed on to the heart of Panjim known as Church Square
and the most distinctive and photogenic Church of Our lady of the Immaculate
Conception. The enormous bell that hangs from the central gable is the
second largest in the state and was salvaged from the ruins of the Monastery
of St. Augustus on Holy Hill. Then drive through Panjim’s oldest
and most interesting Portuguese district known as Fontainhas with its
stately old mansions and snow-white chapel. Stop for a look at the chapel
of St. Sebastian to see the eerily lifelike crucifix beside the chapel
which used to hang in the Palace of the Inquisition in Old Goa unusual
because Christ’s eyes are open allegedly to inspire fear in those
being interrogated by the inquisitiors. Drive through altinho Hill to
see the grandest of Panjim’s old colonial houses where the elite
of Goa reside. Have a look at the Bishop’s Palace, where the pope
stayed during his 1989 visit to Goa.
Dona Paula is situated on the northern bank of the river Zuari, a little
away to the south east of Cabo, lies a large escarpment with a bay and
two small beaches.
18 Kms from Panjim built by the Portuguese in 1609-1612, to command the
entry into river Mandovi, in order to protect Old Goa from potential enemy
attacks spring within the fort provided water supply to the ships that
calles there. The fort houses presently the central jail. A light house
is situated nearby the visiting hours for its being 1600 hrs to 1700hrs.
Calangute and Baga:
The twin beach delight is situated 16 Kms from Panjim and are the most
popular holiday resort in Goa. The church of St. Alex with its false dome
stands tall and white at the entrance of Calangute there is plenty to
do and see for the energetic.
It is situated 18 Kms from Panjim and is very popular beach are adjacent
to Chapora Fort in Anjuna there is magnificent Albuquerque mansion built
in 1920, flanked by octagonal towers and Mangalore tiled roof. It’s
a place to be on Wednesday in Goa., ( Flea Market) operating only in season.
Panjim is the capital of Goa since 1843, the town is worth a visit as
it has lot to offer new as well as old. In the oldest part of the town
the Portuguese heritage has survived remarkably well. Old houses with
over looking balconies and red titled roofs. Interesting places to shop
in and around Panjim.
Combined tour of above mentioned
places of North Goa and South Goa.